Equiinet - Unified Threat Management: NetPilot Plus
Product NameNetPilot Plus
Product OverviewThe Netpilot product range consists of various UTM appliances that cater to the security needs of virtually all organisations, irrespective of size and market sector. Normally installed at the gateway to the network, the NetPilot Plus appliance protects the internal servers and clients using a comprehensive range of security technologies, including antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-spam, policy controls, URL content filtering, firewall, VPN, and IPS components.
A thorough examination of all the main technology components in a UTM appliance through a real world test environment to establish the level of functionality and performance of the solution under test.Test the following technologies in the context of a single UTM appliance: firewall and VPN, antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-spam, web filtering and IPS.
- Using West Coast antivirus and anti-spyware test suites, feed infected files through the appliance together with ordinary traffic.
- Configure a non-secure network connected to the internet to see whether the firewall can protect from common hostile attacks.
- A range of penetration tests will be carried out against the VPN, which will have a network specified as a remote office.
- A range of live emails simulating normal business email, including newsletters, will be sent to test anti-spam.
- The IPS testing module is designed to ensure that the technology contributes to a basic level of protection for an organization against hostile attacks, including reviewing IP logs.
- The web filtering tests replicate in a short space of time a number of hits on sites that fall outside of a prescribed Acceptable Usage Policy, along with providing genuine sites as a control group.
West Coast Labs Conclusion
The NetPilot Plus provides a tight integration of powerful, proven UTM technologies within a single device, combining ease-of-use and powerful reporting tools with consistently high levels of intrinsic protection against real-world security threats, attack vectors, and techniques.
From the outset, the ease of installation and configuration is evident. The Getting Started Guide describes the initial set-up stages using simple language and easily understood examples to explain how to configure both the NetPilot Plus, and any client machines on the protected network. The device is easy to configure, and able to meet a variety of security focused business requirements.
Easily integrated within diverse technical environments, the device has a full featured, intuitively laid out management console, helping to ensure the straightforward execution of complex administrative tasks.
The NetPilot Plus has an in-built reporting system that is easily accessible via the web based management console. Reporting and logging features are extensive, easy to understand and simple to use, containing useful system information on present status, as well as data on historical system activity.
Any organization requiring a cost-effective UTM appliance with an advanced feature set should certainly consider evaluating the NetPilot Plus.
The device performed well in testing, and West Coast Labs is pleased to award the NetPilot Plus the Anti-Spam, Anti-Spyware Gateway, Anti-Virus Gateway, Enterprise Firewall, Unified Threat Management, URL Filtering, and VPN Checkmarks.
About West Coast Labs
West Coast Labs is one of the world's leading independent test facilities providing a range of technical services for testing a range of technologies including UTM, Malware - including Anti-Virus, Trojan, Worms, Exploits and Spyware - Spam, URL, Web and Email Filtering, Firewall, VPN, IDS, IPS and IPD.
Current Clients include AhnLab, Aladdin, Authentium, BitDefender, Brightcloud, CA, Central Command, Comdomsoft, Copperfasten, Digital OnNet, Elitecore, Efrontier, Equiinet, ESET, GFI, Grisoft, GData, Hauri, IBM, ISS, Ironport, IOLO, Jiangmin, Juniper, K7, Kaspersky, Kingsoft, Logica, McAfee, MessageLabs, Microsoft, Netcore, Netintelligence, Norman, Panda Security, PC Tools, PineApp, Realblocker, Rising, Sophos, Sunbelt, SurfControl, Symantec, Trend Micro, Tumbleweed, VirusBuster, Watchguard, Webroot.