Trend Micro Inc. - URL Filtering: InterScan Gateway Security Appliance
CompanyTrend Micro Inc.
Product NameInterScan Gateway Security Appliance
Trend Micro's IGSA appliance is a Linux based gateway device that inspects incoming and outgoing traffic on the HTTP, FTP, SMTP and POP3 protocols, categorizing and filtering according to a pre-defined Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP).
To provide an independent validation of web filtering effectiveness with particular reference to:
- The features, functionality and performance of the solutions.
- The extent to which an acceptable usage security policy is enforced.
- The level of false positives recorded (innocent actions blocked or prohibited).
- The completeness and accuracy of the logs produced.
- URLs from a test suite (the Base Group) are loaded sequentially into a well-known browser window and changed at a standard interval. Each URL has a preassigned category.
- The URL test suite is regularly updated to include web sites that fall outside of a predefined Acceptable Usage Policy and also includes various innocuous sites as "controls".
- HTML code from each web page is appended to a log, which is analyzed to see if any pages outside the AUP have been passed through the solution.
- Each classification supplied by the solution under test is then compared to the original Base Group classification to see if they provide a match.
- Further attempts to access material will be manually checked with well-known proxy avoidance services and results will be recorded. West Coast labs will also comment on the ability of the solution under test to alter policies at group or individual level.
West Coast Labs Conclusion
The Trend IGSA provides ease of use and configuration in a gateway security solution that covers the most commonly used protocols in order to best protect an organisational network against web-borne threat scenarios.
Trend have designed the appliance to ensure that there is maximum flexibility and coverage with the minimum of service interruption, and two operational modes means that an organisation can configure IGSA to best fit in with their existing infrastructure. The SSL web based interface makes the device simple to configure and administer, since by presenting everything in a web based format it means that the pool of possible administrators is widened.
IGSA offers a broad range of URL filtering categories and the ability to filter granularly. This gives administrators the flexibility to create their own custom policies that coincide with each corporation's own Acceptable Use Policy. This ability ensures that it is possible to put in place tight controls on usage that will be adhered to automatically.
Overall, IGSA has performed consistently well in a number of tests including the Checkmark URL Filtering Certification - the abilities of this solution combined with good reporting mean that this should be on a shortlist of devices for any corporation that is looking for multiple types of protection in an easy-to-use package.
About West Coast Labs
West Coast Labs is one of the world's leading independent test facilities providing a range of technical services for testing a range of technologies including UTM, Malware - including Anti-Virus, Trojan, Worms, Exploits and Spyware - Spam, URL, Web and Email Filtering, Firewall, VPN, IDS, IPS and IPD.
Current Clients include AhnLab, Aladdin, Authentium, BitDefender, Brightcloud, CA, Central Command, Comdomsoft, Copperfasten, Digital OnNet, Elitecore, Efrontier, Equiinet, ESET, GFI, Grisoft, GData, Hauri, IBM, ISS, Ironport, IOLO, Jiangmin, Juniper, K7, Kaspersky, Kingsoft, Logica, McAfee, MessageLabs, Microsoft, Netcore, Netintelligence, Norman, Panda Security, PC Tools, PineApp, Realblocker, Rising, Sophos, Sunbelt, SurfControl, Symantec, Trend Micro, Tumbleweed, VirusBuster, Watchguard, Webroot.